I have previously talked about evaluating of chess position. Today’s topic is a little different even though it may seem to be similar: analyzing chess game. The main difference is that we’ll concentrate on a whole game analyzes which occurs immediately after the game, in contrast, to the evaluation of a chess position which happens over the board, during the game.
Before telling you how to analyze a chess game, I’d like to tell you how not to. Do not plug a game into a computer engine to see where it went wrong. In fact, you will learn hardly anything that way. It is like solving the tactics problems by using a Fritz engine.
Clock is a very important aspect of practical chess. You may be a very good chess player but lose a lot of games because you getting short on time and making blunder as a result. In order to perform at your best, good time managing technique is required. What do I mean by that? Let’s say you have 75 minutes with 5 seconds delay for 40 moves and 30 minutes for the endgame (it is a typical time control for many tournaments). At this time control a player should spend just under 2 minutes per move for the first 40 moves.
Are you just beginning to play chess and want to know why do you keep loosing these games to a player who is not even good? I will give you couple of vital suggestions and tips that will dramatically improve your chess playing strength.
Let’s go over the most important concepts. The first stage of the complex game of chess called the opening. In the opening it is very important to develop chess pieces. That’s what the opening is made for, to mobilize your chess army. Bishops should be placed on open diagonals, knights in the center and rooks on the open files. If you place chess pieces in this special order you make the task of your opponent to checkmate you a lot harder than if your pieces are poorly developed. There are also more opportunities to launch an attack and crush your opponent if pieces are placed effectively. It is also a very good idea to castle as early as possible since the pawns and rook are excellent guards for your king. It is a lot harder to checkmate castled king, remember that. The second stage of chess is called middle game.
A lot of people are asking the same question over and over again, how to improve in chess? So, I have decided to write this whole thing once and for all.
First of all, it is important to know at what level you are playing now. It would really depend on what to study and how to improve from the player’s current (estimated) rating — chess level by ELO.
Here is a chart that gives an idea of what should players work on at different levels of their chess career.
Have you ever played an opponent who is 400 points higher rated than you are? If you’re playing chess regularly I bet you did. According to the statistics if player is 400 points higher rated he will win at about 95% of games. But do not get disappointed and read on. There is a pretty good chance that after reading this little article and following this basic guidelines YOU will be in that 5% who manage to draw or even win a game against much stronger party. So, why do these high rated players beat weaker ones? Well, they are well trained: high rated players know openings well, they have good chess vision, their tactics level is high and they know really well how to play and win theoretical endings.
We all know that chess programs become extremely popular among players of all levels. But what’s so great about all these modern Rybka, Fritz, Junior, Crafty, Shredder and zillion of other chess engines? How to use these chess monsters to improve your game? If you’re interested to know answers to questions above keep reading.