Attack and Defense
How to Play Powerful Attacking and Defensive Sequences to Finally Become the Player You Meant to Be…
Let me ask you a question. How many of your important games are decided by all-out, guns blazing attacks?
Less than half? Less than a quarter?
Most club players have to settle for winning a pawn or two and converting in the endgame. A win’s a win, sure – but these aren’t games you’ll remember. This isn’t what you play chess for.
Want to become an ATTACKING GENIUS and create your own “immortals”? GM Petrov is here to help.
His new 10.5-hour Attack and Defense is a masterclass on winning games with direct attacking play.
Attacks on the kingside, queenside, opposite-side castling, same side… GM Petrov provides ATTACKING BLUEPRINTS for every situation.
As you can probably guess from the title, this course examines attack and defense at the same time – they are, after all, 2 sides of the same coin.
By showing how some threats can be defended – and how to counter those ideas – GM Petrov builds up the sophistication of your attacks into laser-accurate combinations.
- The shift in thinking that turns even the most careful player into an unstoppable attacking machine, happy to sacrifice material just to open lines towards the enemy king.
- The 64 square sieges. Alekhine famously declared “play on both sides of the board is my favorite strategy”. GM Petrov teaches you how to overwhelm your rivals with this “total attack” method.
- Defensive genius. Getting into the mind of world-class defenders like Lasker and Petrosian will make you a more incisive attacker… and help you save a ton of difficult positions. Petrov reveals its secrets in chapter 6.
- Beat them to the punch. Opposite-side castling usually leads to a race to checkmate. GM Petrov explains what’s going on below the surface in classic games by Tal and Fischer, giving you the master template for balancing attack and defense in these situations.
- Simple wins. Players miss wins in simple positions all the time – they just don’t see the opportunity. In chapter 4, Marian shows how to find hard-to-spot moves like Petrosian’s brilliant 36.g5!!
- Secrets of counterplay. The ability to turn defense into attack wins games on the spot. Your rivals aren’t psychologically prepared to dig deep and defend after being on the offensive. Learn how to set up subtle-but-deadly counters in chapter 8.
To make it at the next level, you need to be crushing your rivals at this level. GM Petrov’s Attack and Defenseshows you how to do that… and have a lot of fun in the process!
Attack and Defense by GM Petrov – video course [10 hours]
In this 10-hour course, FIDE Trainer and Olympiad Coach GM Marian Petrov cover winning games with direct attacking play. Attacks on the kingside, queenside, opposite-side castling, same side… GM Petrov provides attacking blueprints for every situation.
Complete set of PGNs
Downloadable, complete set of PGNs of games covered in the course that you can analyze it at your own pace and convenience. A must-have treasure chest for any serious player.
Access to Practicum
Train the important tactical skills and motifs with a set of specifically designed tasks and challenges. The practical part is an important element of the course.
Application of Ideas [20-minute video]
Watch GM Petrov playing live and applying every single principle covered in the Attack and Defense Mastermind. GM Petrov annotates the games on-the-fly, sharing his ideas and secrets of success. A must-have for any serious chess player.
- INTRO Introduction to the Course
- CHAPTER 1 Attacking the King in the Centre
- CHAPTER 2 Attacking Against Castled King
- CHAPTER 3 Attacking Against Opposite Side Castle
- CHAPTER 4 Attack on the Queen’s Side
- CHAPTER 5 Attack on Both Sides
- CHAPTER 6 Defending Basic Principles
- CHAPTER 7 Creating Problems for the Attacker
- CHAPTER 8 Counter Attack
- CHAPTER 9 Sacrifice
- CHAPTER 10 Simplifying the Position
- Applying the Theory
About the Author:
GM Marian Petrov (FIDE 2537)
is an accomplished professional chess coach, theorist, and Bulgarian champion for 2002 and 2017, as well as winner of many open tournaments around the world. Also a FIDE trainer and coach of the team of Wales at the last Olympiad in Baku in 2016. He graduated from the National Sports Academy in Sofia, Bulgaria with a Bachelor’s degree in Chess Pedagogy, a four-year undergraduate program designed to prepare top-level chess trainers.