"If you’ve ever found yourself in a position where you’re running out of good moves but don’t know where you went wrong, you’ve probably misunderstood the pawn structure. Pawn Structure Explained for Club Players will fix this and help you build positions where your pieces have all the activity while your opponent gradually gets squeezed off the board."
Pawn Structure Explained for Club Players
IM Valeri Lilov presents the most comprehensive guide to pawn structure available today in the superb, 16-hour Pawn Structure Explained for Club Players.
Understanding how the pawn structure influences the game is the hallmark of a strong player but it’s often a mystery to club players.
If you’ve ever found yourself in a position where you’re running out of good moves but don’t know where you went wrong, you’ve probably misunderstood the pawn structure. Pawn Structure Explained for Club Player will fix this and help you build positions where your pieces have all the activity while your opponent gradually gets squeezed off the board.
IM Lilov reveals how your pawns affect every other piece on the board and the typical plans that accompany the different structures. As well as examining the hidden strengths and weaknesses of backward, doubled and hanging pawns, Valeri shows how to turn a pawn majority (equal material but more pawns on one side of the board) into victory and how to protect and attack pawn chains. Break the pawn chain and the position crumbles.
Knowledge of these motifs will prove useful in just about any position, helping you to come up with a winning plan based on the pawn structure.
In addition to these courses, Pawn Structure Explained for Club Players gives you complete explanations of the ideas behind the Carlsbad structure, King’s Gambit and Colle-Zukertort, all based on the typical plans associated with the pawn structures. Not only do these courses teach you some deep chess theory, but you also get to master 3 openings.
Last but not least is 4 volumes on the positional exchange sacrifice, the favorite of Tigran Petrosian. Again, knowing when an exchange sacrifice will benefit you depends on understanding the pawn structure. IM Lilov explains why, when and how to sac the exchange for a winning positional advantage.
Pawn Structure Explained for Club Players removes the mystery from this advanced chess understanding and makes it accessible to everyone with IM Lilov’s crystal clear commentary. If you’ve wondered how you’re going to take your game to the next level, here’s the answer. Arm yourself with a refined positional understanding that gives you great piece activity, space and plenty of attacking potential.
Students get access to all of IM Lilov’s strategic secrets:
- All types of pawn weaknesses are explained, including how you can tie the other guy’s pieces down to pawn defense while you prepare your attack on his king!
- Pawn chains and how you can use them to get a winning space advantage or to completely dominate the center.
- Typical opening pawn formations where you will learn how to understand any chess opening, just from looking at the pawn structure!
- The Pawn Wedge Theory and how to attack strongly when the other guy tries to block the position.
- The famous “Carlsbad Pawn Structure” which Garry Kasparov used as a key weapon to demolish the super solid Karpov and become World Champion!
- The Minority Attack and Lilov’s techniques for creating pawn weaknesses in the enemy camp for you to target.
- Positional Exchange Sacrifices a super-advanced secret and how masters use it to unbalance the position and totally destroy the other guy’s pawn structure!
Once you integrate all of IM Lilov’s ideas, you are truly going to be a maestro of play…
- LESSON 1 Backward Pawns
- LESSON 2 Carlsbad Pawn Structure
- LESSON 3 Central Pawns
- LESSON 4 Colle-Zukertort
- LESSON 5 Doubled Pawns
- LESSON 6 Hanging Pawns
- LESSON 7 King’s Gambit
- LESSON 8 Pawn Chains
- LESSON 9 Pawn Majority
- LESSON 10 Pawn Wedge in the Center
- LESSON 11 Positional Exchange Sacrifice
- LESSON 12 Typical Pawn Formations
IM Valeri Lilov (FIDE 2438)
better known as Tiger Lilov is a professional chess coach and lecturer renowned for his personalized approach to training students and professional players from all over the world. Having been an active tournament player all his life, he has won many international open tournaments and championships including the European Individual School Chess Championship U10 (Moscow, 2000) and the Kulaga Memorial International Open (Minsk, 2007).