The Lenderman Method
This superb 15-hour course from Super GM Alex Lenderman (peak Elo 2636) reveals his method for playing dynamic, attacking chess. In each of the 8 chapters, GM Lenderman looks at a different type of sacrifice, from pawns in the opening all the way to Queens in the middlegame!
The aim of each sacrifice is to upset the balance and exchange material for activity, an attack or a long-term positional advantage, such as obtaining a key square or the bishop pair. It’s this ability to disrupt the play and dictate proceedings that separate the very best players from everyone else.
GM Lenderman breaks down the inner workings of some of the most brilliant, creative play, lucidly explaining how and why the ideas work, giving you a rich repertoire of attacking – and, in some cases, defensive – resources.
Uniquely, Alex has chosen some little-known brilliancies by the strongest players on the planet – the chess computers – to illustrate ways we can take our chess understanding to the very highest level. These games supplement the finest work of human geniuses such as Kasparov, Tal, and Nezhmetdinov.
Includes a 1-hour bonus of Alex playing online blitz, voicing his thoughts and analysis in real time plus a fascinating insight into his personal philosophy and best advice for improving players in a Q&A session!
15 chapters contain step-by-step training in sacrificial play, beginning with the humblest of pawn gambits in the opening and moving onto super advanced training where you’ll learn to sacrifice your entire queen for purely positional compensation – and win [15+ hours].
Printable course summary for easy reference.
Practical tests to etch what you’ve learned into your permanent memory.
The Course Summary – a fantastic tool for quickly reminding yourself of key attacking principles
PGNs for all videos
Study the course and you will:
- Positional Queen Sacrifices: Discover Mamedyarov’s weird queen sacrifice that looks like a beginner’s blunder, but was really a mind-blowing concept that left his opponent helpless (despite having an extra queen!)
- Masterful Exchange Sacrifices: You’ll learn the 1 simple question Kasparov asks that helps him easily find exchange sacrifices of devastating power (plus witness a brilliant example of him destroying a 2650 opponent with that very method!)
- Minor Piece Sacrifices: Learn GM Topalov’s secret weapon for sacrificing a whole piece to tear apart the enemy king position (plus, the 3 “soft spots” where this sacrifice is 10x more powerful!)
- Long-Term Positional Sacrifices: The astonishing revelation GM Lenderman got from studying Komodo’s play (what chess at the 3400 ELO is revealing, even about the weakness of GMs!)
- PART 1: Dynamic Pawn Sacrifices and Gambits
– The Smith-Morra Gambit: Berg-Luch
– Snowballing the Initiative: Stockfish-Bobcat
– Tearing Open the Kingside: Komodo-Stockfish
– Rapid Development: Stockfish-Vajolet2
– Pushing Pieces Back: Petrov-van Foreest
- PART 2: Positional Pawn Sacrifices and Gambits
– Tying Up the Opponent: Fire 5-Bobcat
– Opening the Center: Komodo-Critter
– The Tal Gambit: Vajolet2-Naum
– Hidden Compensation: Jonny8-Stockfish
– Attacking the King: Naum-Stockfish
- PART 3: Dynamic Middlegame Pawn Sacrifices
– Playing Against the King
– Restricting the Enemy Forces
– Improving Your Pieces
– Winning with Passed Pawns: Spassky-Petrosian
- PART 4: Long-term Positional Advantages
– Superior Piece Coordination
– Winning with the Bishop Pair
– The Blockade
– Defensive Pawn Sacrifices
- PART 5: Double Pawn Sacrifices
– Overwhelming Initiative: Zherebukh-Onischuk
– Relentless Energetic Play
– Punishing Materialistic Players: Rybka-Ginkgo
– Initiative Without Queens
- PART 6: Mastering the Exchange Sacrifice
– Hidden Venom in the QGA: Javakhishvili-Edouard
– An Exchange for an Attack: Movsesian-Kasparov
– Sacrificing the Exchange for the Bishop Pair
– Other Positional Exchange Sacrifices: Anand-Mamedyarov
– Defensive Exchange Sacrifices
- PART 7: Piece Sacrifices
– Minor Piece Gambits: Topalov-Kramnik
– Piece Sacrifices on d5: Fischer-Rubinetti
– Sacrificing Pieces for Pawns: The Baron-Hannibal
– Positional Piece Sacrifices: Weser-Lenderman
- PART 8: Positional Queen Sacrifices
– Queen Sacrifices in the Opening: Mamedyarov-Brkic
– Dynamic Queen Sacrifices: Nezhmetdinov-Chernikov
– A Queen for the Bishop Pair: Izoria-Petrosian
– Sacrificing the Queen for the Initiative: Kramnik-Kasparov
– Defensive Queen Sacrifices: Lenderman-Bajarani
BONUS #1 Live Blitz with GM Alex Lenderman
BONUS #2 Q&A Session with GM Alex Lenderman
GM Alex Lenderman (FIDE 2636)
is an American chess grandmaster. He won over 100 chess tournaments and represented the U.S. in international team events on 3 occasions. GM Lenderman won the gold medal in the 2015 World Team Championship, became the World Open Champion and Marshall Chess Club Champion number of times. He is also an active chess coach, and enjoys seeing his students launch their own chess career!