Master Method Series #16
Chess tactics win games, which is why we should work on our tactical ability. However, most players just stay sharp by solving random puzzles. Now you can stand out and get the edge in your games with Tactics & Calculation for the Ambitious Player from Olympiad Gold winner, GM Sam Shankland.
This stunning 15-hour course breaks down the deadliest tactics from top-level play, uniquely splitting them into 6 categories, ranging from Attacking the King to Endgame Tactics.
By challenging students to find the strongest moves then explaining the mechanics of the combination, GM Shankland improves both your calculation and pattern recognition, transforming you into a master tactician!
Why is Tactics and Calculation for the Ambitious Player different?
This course improves both your ability to calculate and your pattern recognition, by decoding the 49 most instructive GM examples of tactical play. You learn what works, what doesn’t and how to find the right solution at the board.
Here is some of the great stuff inside:
- Attacking the King: learn GM strategies for smashing through defenses and mating the king – even when the king seems totally safe. Imagine the shock when your rival sees you play 16.Bg6!!
- Loose pieces drop off! Discover Kasparov’s “triple-threat” system for taking advantage of loose pieces and start forcing those early resignations!
- Endgame tactics: just when your opponent is settling down for a slow, calm endgame, light up the board with tactical fireworks, sacrificing pieces and pawns to push for promotion.
BONUS videos included:
See how Sam applies these ideas in practice with a 1-hour live blitz session PLUS the exclusive “Battle of the Bay Area Beasts” – his 5 game match against Daniel Naroditsky!!
15 hours of high-quality videos lessons – GM Shankland
This 15-hour course with GM Shankland improves both your ability to calculate and your pattern recognition, by decoding the 49 most instructive GM examples of tactical play. You learn what works, what doesn’t and how to find the right solution at the board.
Complete PGNs for All Videos
The complete PGNs for the course for you to review with your favorite engine. Follow the training and scroll through the PGNs at your convenience.
Printable course summary for easy reference [PDF]
Practical tests to etch what you’ve learned into your permanent memory
An eye-opening interview with GM Shankland, live blitz session and the post-match analysis [you might want to get a pen and paper to write this down, it’s important]
Some of the skills you’ll develop:
- Dynamic destruction – most club players only sacrifice when they see a clear win. Shift your focus from material to activity and unleash moves like Gareev’s 13…Ne4!! (White was mated 10 moves later).
- Total control – the battle for the center is the first challenge in any game. Learn how to use tactical tricks to give you domination over the entire board.
- Always attacking – call the shots even when under attack with Sam’s “active defense” method. See how Kamsky stopped Topalov in his tracks using this 1 idea (part 5, chapter 4).
- Endgame execution – so your opponent has survived this long? Put them out of their misery with your new repertoire of ingenious promotion tactics like Ivanchuk’s 54.e6! and 55.h5!
- And much more!
GM Sam Shankland (FIDE 2679)
is an American Chess Grandmaster on the United States National Team, the reigning Olympic Champions. He is a two time Olympiad Gold Medallist (2014 and 2016), a former World u-18 co-champion (2008), winner of several international events, and the third highest rated homegrown American player of all time. He has worked as an analyst for the reigning World Champion, Magnus Carlsen, training with him to prepare for the 2014 and 2016 World Championship matches.