Chess is a very complex game. Not only you need to calculate very precisely, but also you need to understand the strategy of the game.
And when it comes down to strategy, one of the most important issues is to understand the “active value of pieces”. At the very beginning, everyone learns the so-called “static value of pieces”.
For example, we all know that the queen is equal to 9 points, the rook is equal to five points, and bishop and knight are 3 points each.
In this course, we are going to discuss the “active value” of knights and bishops. Even though these two pieces have the same value on paper, they are VERY different in their specifics. As you already know, in certain positions knights are stronger and in the other ones, bishops are dominant.
In this TCW Academy series, IM Mat Kolosowski will help you understand the subtleties of bishop vs. knight. After watching this course, you’ll know how to apply the principles we are going to discuss and your understanding of the chess strategy will be much better!
What you will learn:
- The strength of a bishop pair in an open position with pawns on both flanks
- Two bishops vs two knights in a semi-open position with pawns on both flanks
- A bishop limiting the knight
- Restricting the knight with pawns
- The knight is stronger than a bishop if the play is conducted on one flank
- Deliberately closing the position to limit the bishop
- Transition to a closed endgame/changing evaluation
- Bishops in a closed position are weaker than knights on outposts protecting each other
Watch the full video with TCW Academy!Want to get access to the entire library of chess videos just like this one? Check out TCW Academy, the premium membership for chess players, coaches, and parents! Our platform combines video lessons and training into a complete system, so you can quickly learn and start winning games tomorrow!
You get tons of exclusive content and benefits like:
- Unlimited Access to Academy Video Library [Our Team of top coaches like GM Marian Petrov and GM Bryan Smith is here to help you gain at least 250 Elo points by summer]
- Access to New Exclusive Videos [New videos are released twice a month and PGNs are included]
- Pick what chess skills you are looking to develop and follow your path to Mastery
- Master every skill easily with our powerful quizzing system
- Can’t find a topic you want to learn? Use our ‘Request a Course’ feature!
- …and much more!