“For him, exchanges are often not the prelude to a quick draw but the signal that it is time for his opponent to start suffering.” – Dennis Monokroussos, chess author and Fide Master
Wondering who they are talking about?
It’s Ulf Andersson, who was widely known for his positional chess prowess and for his ability to squeeze wins out of “unwinnable” endgames.
During the periods 1982-84 and 1988-91 he was in the World’s top ten… reaching number four at his peak!
Karpov had his first loss as World Champion against Ulf Andersson in 1975…
He drew a six-game match with none other than the “magician from Riga”, Mikhail Tal in 1983…
He played top board in the Second USSR versus The Rest of The World Match in 1984…
In other words, Ulf Andersson was a positional chess juggernaut with a peak FIDE rating of 2650.
If you want to improve your positional chess and studying games of the positional chess maestros, you should include Andersson in that list too.
In 3+ hours, GM Marian Petrov is here to take you through some of the best games of Ulf Andersson and discuss how he outplayed his opponents with little nuances and slight advantages.
Watch the full video with TCW Academy!Want to get access to the entire library of chess videos just like this one? Check out TCW Academy, the premium membership for chess players, coaches, and parents! Our platform combines video lessons and training into a complete system, so you can quickly learn and start winning games tomorrow!
You get tons of exclusive content and benefits like:
- Unlimited Access to Academy Video Library [Our Team of top coaches like GM Marian Petrov and GM Bryan Smith is here to help you gain at least 250 Elo points by summer]
- Access to New Exclusive Videos [New videos are released twice a month and PGNs are included]
- Pick what chess skills you are looking to develop and follow your path to Mastery
- Master every skill easily with our powerful quizzing system
- Can’t find a topic you want to learn? Use our ‘Request a Course’ feature!
- …and much more!