It is always intriguing following the games of players like Petrosian and Topalov. They are well known for precise positional exchange sacrifice and a superb understanding of material imbalances.
At the same time, ‘Material Imbalances’ is a difficult topic to grasp for most 1600-2000 rated-s.
Most players start their careers by mastering tactics. At some point, they become proficient and stop losing games because of serious blunders. That’s the reason why the majority of club players are scared to lose material and it’s part of their weakness.
They miss the big picture, that ultimately what matters is winning the game, not the presence of a queen or two rooks on the board.
The next step in chess mastery is realizing that sometimes giving up material could be highly beneficial.
This is what this course teaches you.
We will go through many hand-picked examples of imbalanced positions, namely positions where one side gives up material to get various types of advantages.
And I’m not talking about an immediate attack against the king, but rather long term assets, positional compensation, etc.
If you are one of those players afraid to give up your material thinking what if “I misplay the position and lose the game being a piece down” – this course is for you.
‘Material Imbalances with GM Ernst’ teach you both fundamental and advanced techniques of material imbalances.
You will know when you should do it and when you shouldn’t. GM Sipke Ernst adds many valuable instruments into your chess toolbox, and by mastering this advanced topic you overall game understanding will increase.
Here is what you’ll learn:
- What are ‘Material Imbalances’ and how to use it to your advantage?
- 3 Must-know types of positional compensation
- Mastering the Queen Sacrifice – from fundamentals to advanced techniques
- When to give up your material?
- How to fight the most common fears when it comes to material sacrifice?
Watch the full video with TCW Academy!Want to get access to the entire library of chess videos just like this one? Check out TCW Academy, the premium membership for chess players, coaches, and parents! Our platform combines video lessons and training into a complete system, so you can quickly learn and start winning games tomorrow!
You get tons of exclusive content and benefits like:
- Unlimited Access to Academy Video Library [Our Team of top coaches like GM Marian Petrov and GM Bryan Smith is here to help you gain at least 250 Elo points by summer]
- Access to New Exclusive Videos [New videos are released twice a month and PGNs are included]
- Pick what chess skills you are looking to develop and follow your path to Mastery
- Master every skill easily with our powerful quizzing system
- Can’t find a topic you want to learn? Use our ‘Request a Course’ feature!
- …and much more!