g4 Gambit vs. Philidor? This is the position. Just where the Pirc Defense morphs into the Philidor Defense…
White expects the exchange on e4 but Black says he will not give even the slightest advantage to White yet.
What do you do?
If you are yet another chess player who hates complexity and loves playing boring positions, you might go with a standard line…
Something like 5. Bc4, eyeing the f7 square.
But if you want to set yourself apart—and take your opponent out of his opening book—as early as the 5th move…
Here’s our solution: play the Shirov’s Gambit.
5. g4 and… sac that pawn!
If your opponent accepts the gift, you gain in tempo and open up a file to build up your attack on Black’s kingside.
If he does not, you push that pawn ahead and enter a very non-standard position in the Philidor Defense.
Sounds interesting? Let GM Misa Pap explain the ins and outs of this crazy yet super effective variation, the essential ideas, the move order, how to play it, and how to counter it…
… in his brand-new course, g4 Gambit vs. Philidor.
Want to know more about Philidor Defense? Look at this article as well as Everything You Need To Know About This Opening.
We also recommend reviewing Theoretically Drawn Endgames: Bishop and Rook versus Rook as well as Main Ideas of The Reti Opening.
g4 Gambit vs. Philidor – See the video preview:
Watch the full video with TCW Academy!Want to get access to the entire library of chess videos just like this one? Check out TCW Academy, the premium membership for chess players, coaches, and parents! Our platform combines video lessons and training into a complete system, so you can quickly learn and start winning games tomorrow!
You get tons of exclusive content and benefits like:
- Unlimited Access to Academy Video Library [Our Team of top coaches like GM Marian Petrov and GM Bryan Smith is here to help you gain at least 250 Elo points by summer]
- Access to New Exclusive Videos [New videos are released twice a month and PGNs are included]
- Pick what chess skills you are looking to develop and follow your path to Mastery
- Master every skill easily with our powerful quizzing system
- Can’t find a topic you want to learn? Use our ‘Request a Course’ feature!
- …and much more!