There’s a reason this 3-rank system is employed by legendary players like Portisch, Suba, Adorjan, Ljubojevic, Kasparov, and Karpov…and easily one of the most popular systems in chess. The Hedgehog System. The perfect way to keep the battle tense and avoid simplifications.
If you’re a chess player looking for a versatile and flexible opening system, then the Hedgehog system might be just what you need.
This unique opening is characterized by a pawn structure that resembles a hedgehog, with pawns on a6, b6, d6, and e6 forming a defensive barrier around the king.
Why play the Hedgehog system?
Come what may, you will always be ready for your opponent’s attacks. The pawn structure around your king offers a strong barrier of protection―making your opponent scratch their hair off trying to come up with an idea.
Most improving chess players suffer from what I call the “stiff board syndrome”. Once they start out with an opening, they are stuck to playing that. No flexibility or versatility at all. That’s where the Hedgehog comes in.
You can choose to play aggressively or defensively, depending on the situation. The structure allows you to move your pieces around the way you want.
What’s more, many players are not familiar with the Hedgehog system. Talk about a surprise weapon in your arsenal, right?
Your opponent may not know how to respond to your opening and already have the winning advantage from the first move.
Last but not least, it’s helluva challenging for your opponent as it requires a different approach from traditional openings.
Unless your opponent has spent hours studying this opening, good luck to him breaking through the defense and finding a weakness in your position.
Want to learn how to play the Hedgehog System like a pro?
Here’s GM Marian Petrov’s exclusive course for you, The Hedgehog System. A 3-hour long video training covering the nitty gritty of playing this system against the Sicilian, the English, the Nimzo-Indian, and so on.
Marian is one of our most POPULAR coaches, with thousands of students and dozens of courses to his name. In short, you cannot go wrong with this one!
Want to know more about the Hedgehog System? Look at the Top 3 Plans for Black in it, This Opening According to Karpov as well as A Must-Have System for Every Chess Player.
We also recommend reviewing our latest TCW Academy courses:
- Play g4 Gambit vs. Philidor with GM Misa Pap
- Play Fantasy Variation vs. Caro-Kann with GM Misa Pap
- Win with Evans Gambit with FM Viktor Neustroev
- Planning Your Game Like a World Champion with GM Marian Petrov
- Tactics and Strategy with GM Marian Petrov
Hedgehog System – See the video preview:
Watch the full video with TCW Academy!Want to get access to the entire library of chess videos just like this one? Check out TCW Academy, the premium membership for chess players, coaches, and parents! Our platform combines video lessons and training into a complete system, so you can quickly learn and start winning games tomorrow!
You get tons of exclusive content and benefits like:
- Unlimited Access to Academy Video Library [Our Team of top coaches like GM Marian Petrov and GM Bryan Smith is here to help you gain at least 250 Elo points by summer]
- Access to New Exclusive Videos [New videos are released twice a month and PGNs are included]
- Pick what chess skills you are looking to develop and follow your path to Mastery
- Master every skill easily with our powerful quizzing system
- Can’t find a topic you want to learn? Use our ‘Request a Course’ feature!
- …and much more!