Your King is jammed into the corner, and White keeps on pushing. After the next check, there is no escape... GM Sipke Ernst was in this situation many times. And that's why he paid specific attention to developing a special skill, that turns the table on the opponent. Counter-Attack. This skill alone allowed him to win countless games when everything looked hopeless. It saved thousands of Elo points and won dozens of trophies.
You are two hours into the important game.
Win it and you get clear 1st and a huge trophy. Lose it and you’re tied for 2nd-11th with 12 other players.
The position is tough.
Your King is jammed into the corner, and White keeps on pushing.
After the next check, there is no escape…
GM Sipke Ernst was in this situation many times.
And that’s why he paid specific attention to developing a special skill, that turns the table on the opponent.
This skill alone allowed him to win countless games when everything looked hopeless. It saved thousands of Elo points and won dozens of trophies.
And it will do the same for you…
Here is what you’ll learn:
- ‘Ignoring the Threats’ Approach – You’ll get the thinking blueprint for ignoring threats and creating opportunities to counter-attack. This advanced technique requires a deep understanding of positional dynamics and tactical awareness.
- Intermediate Moves Mastery – GM Sipke Ernst will guide you through the intricacies of these in-between moves, demonstrating how they can disrupt your opponent’s plans, set up tactical combinations, and lead to unexpected counter-attacks.
- Petrosian’s Thinking System – GM Ernst will break down Petrosian’s strategic principles, teaching you how to create a fortress-like position, patiently waiting for your opponent to overextend, and then launching a powerful counter-attack.
- Active vs. Passive Play – You’ll learn how to identify critical moments to switch from passive defense to dynamic counter-attacks, enhancing your overall strategic decision-making.
- Small Material Sacrifice – GM Ernst will teach you the art of giving up a small amount of material to completely destroy your opponent’s play. Learning when and how to make these sacrifices can be a game-changer in your chess strategy.
- Desperate Counter-Attack – You’ll learn how to create complications and traps when facing a losing position, giving you a last-ditch chance to turn the game around or at least make your opponent’s victory hard-earned (this approach can save up to 30% of your ‘lost’ games).
A well-prepared counter-attack can turn any game around.
And GM Sipke Ernst is a living example of this.
Now it’s your turn to include this powerful skill in your chess toolbox.
Chapter 1. Introduction
Chapter 2. Guseinov-Markus
Chapter 3. Mcshane-Ernst
Chapter 4. Ernst-Kempinski
Chapter 5. Lputian-Alterman
Chapter 6. Anand-Gelfand
Chapter 7. Kramnik-Nakamura
Chapter 8. Kavutskyi-Ernst
Chapter 9. Recuero-Gashimov
Chapter 10. Sokolov-Leko
Chapter 11. Illescas-Andersson
Chapter 12. Tolush-Petrosian
Chapter 13. Reshevsky-Petrosian
Chapter 14. Spassky-Petrosian
Chapter 15. Spassky-Petrosian
Chapter 16. Ligterink-Ernst
Chapter 17. Tkachiev-Edouard
Chapter 18. Shirov-Stohl
Chapter 19. Kortschnoj-Short
Chapter 20. Kasparov-Timman
Chapter 21. Morozevich-Radjabov
Chapter 22. Tiviakov-Ernst
Chapter 23. Harikrishna-Giri
Chapter 24. Geller-Euwe
Chapter 25. Ernst-Han
Chapter 26. Charbonneau-Anand
Chapter 27. Kasparov-Karpov
Chapter 28. Karpov-Tukmakov
Chapter 29. Gabdrakhmanov-Jussupow
Chapter 30. Karpov-Kasparov
Chapter 31. Nepomniachtchi-Ding
Chapter 32. Pijpers-Warmerdam
Chapter 33. Van Foreest-Bjerre
Chapter 34. Lilienthal-Smyslov
Chapter 35. Larsen-Scheltinga
Chapter 36. Ernst-Kovalenko
Chapter 37. Carlsen-Jones
Chapter 38. Ernst-Mamedov
Chapter 39. Tal-Smyslov
About the Author:
GM Sipke Ernst [FIDE 2606]
is an international grandmaster, and a professional chess coach. He was born in 1979, learned chess at the age of 9 at school, and has been hooked on the game ever since. GM Sipke Ernst holds an MA degree in Dutch Language and Culture.